Edwardian Large Mother of Pearl Cameo Pendant/Brooch 14K Gold, Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Box, Antonia White Mother Of Pearl Chest Of Drawers, Ruby Lane Cameo Mother Of Pearl Vintage Earrings Italy Screw Back Dangle, Tai Chung Jewellery Gold Mother Of Pearl Carving and Faceted Heart Cabochons Vintage Turkish Mother Of Pearl Inlayed Box
Mother of pearl has been a popular jewellery setting for decades with the rise of expressive and free-spirited boho-chic fashion since the 1990s. But mother of pearl jewellery has been around for centuries with royalties and high-class citizens from ancient Egypt and China sporting these elegant fashion pieces.
Every piace of jewellery tells a storyGem Hunt
Nowadays, mother of pearl has become a timeless jewellery piece that transcends trends and fashion. It has garnered widespread popularity due to its iridescent look similar to the surface of a pearl, yet it is not as expensive. Here are some things you need to know before investing in your next mother of pearl piece.
1. Mother of pearl, also known as nacre, is called as such since it comes from the inner coating of a pearl mollusc like oyster, mussel, or abalone. The shell of these sea creatures that create pearls are naturally called “mother” from which these pearls are “born”.
2. It is a strong pearlescent structure having the similar lustre as pearls. Mother of pearl is made up of a thick layer of calcium carbonate. The nacre coating is produced in the process of creating a pearl, which is the mollusc’s defence mechanism against parasites and foreign objects.
3. Although mother of pearl and pearl have a similar iridescent property that beautifully reflects light like a moon-like stone, mother of pearl is less rare, thus making them a less expensive option yet equally as elegant.
4. Mother of pearl is a first-anniversary gemstone gift as it symbolizes a balanced and relaxed love. It’s believed to ease relationship anxiety and stress creating a more harmonious union. It s also a symbol of prosperity and positive projections for the future.
5. Mother of pearl is considered to have protective and healing properties. They symbolize the calm of the sea that is meant to soothe and relax the emotions. It enhances the imagination and boosts positive energy as it is meant to provide motherly nurturance and protection from any form of negativity.
Apart from its elegant beauty, mesmerizing lustre, healing energy, and positive symbolism, mother of pearl is an excellent piece of jewellery that boosts confidence, enhances the beauty, and expresses individual style and creativity.
For masterful pieces of wearable art skilfully crafted from mother of pearl that resonates love and inspires confidence, browse through our wide collection at Tai Chung Jewellery.
Photo 1 (Top left) Edwardian Large Mother of Pearl Cameo Pendant/Brooch 14K Gold USD$525 rubylane (Top Middle) Ancient Egyptian Pyramid Box (Top Right) Antonia White Mother Of Pearl Chest Of Drawers (£489, Graham & Green) (Bottom Left) Ruby Lane Cameo Mother Of Pearl Vintage Earrings Italy Screw Back Dangle (Bottom Middle) Tai Chung Jewellery Gold Mother Of Pearl Carving and Faceted Heart Cabochons (Bottom Right) Vintage Turkish Mother Of Pearl Inlayed Box